Mountain Home, AR Homes and Real Estate For Sale
Are you looking for homes or real estate for sale in Mountain Home, Arkansas? Below are the current listings of homes for sale in Mountain Home from the Multiple Listing Service (MLS). Beaman Realty is ready to help you find the home of your dreams. Call us at 870.431.5252 or click on our contact form in any listing that interests you.
ABOUT MOUNTAIN HOME, ARKANSAS
Mountain Home, Arkansas is the county seat of Baxter County. The 2010 census puts the population of Mountain Home at 12,448. However, this population statistic is deceiving, as Mountain Home is the trade center for approximately 75,000 people. The median household income in Mountain Home is $36,535. 76% of residents are married and families with children reside in 23% of Mountain Home households. Half the population of Mountain Home commutes 13 minutes or more to work, with 74% residents holding white collar jobs and 26% residents holding blue collar jobs.
Mountain Home was recently ranked #2 for Field and Stream’s Best Fishing Towns in America, and today it is primarily known as a retirement and vacation destination. Big Creek Golf Course has consistently earned 5 star ratings in Golf Digest magazine and ranked in the top 10 places to play. It has also been rated the #1 public course in Arkansas for four years in a row.
Mountain Home is located between Bull Shoals Lake and Norfork Lake with close proximity to the White River, Norfork River and Buffalo River in the beautiful Ozark Mountains.
The city of Mountain Home offers a four season climate with comfortable winters, and a long sunny summer. Spring and fall are always spectacular in this area of the Ozarks.
Baxter Regional Medical Center is located in Mountain Home and offers excellent health care and easy access not just to the residents of Mountain Home but to all of the Twin Lakes area.
Mountain Home has a Mayor/Council form of government with eight council members elected from wards. The city has a full service police department. The Mountain Home Fire Department is a combination Career/Volunteer department. The department consists of 24 career firefighters, 1 secretary, and 16 paid-per-call volunteer firefighters.
As with other communities in the area, people who purchase homes in Mountain Home enjoy a low crime rate, affordable housing, low property taxes, natural beauty, great climate, friendly people and close proximity to health services in a community that is full of community spirit. Mountain Home is also home to Arkansas State University, Mountain Home and offers great education opportunities.
If you are looking for a home in Mountain Home, a business in Mountain Home or any kind of real estate for sale in Mountain Home, Beaman Realty can help you find it. Search for property for sale in Mountain Home here or call us at Beaman Realty 870.431.5252 today.
Mountain Home, the jewel of the Twin Lakes Area, is nestled in the Ozark Mountains between two lakes and three rivers. This city of 12,000-plus is the trade center of an area encompassing seven counties and 250,000 people within a 55-mile radius.
The county seat of Baxter County, Mountain Home sits between Bull Shoals and Norfork lakes and is close to crystal-clear waters of the White and North Fork rivers. The country’s first national river, Buffalo National River, is within an hour’s drive.
Mountain Home offers recreational access to lakes and rivers for hiking, fishing, boating and water sports scuba diving, snorkeling, state-of-the-art regional hospital and medical facilities, award-winning schools, highly rated two-year college and diverse shopping and dining. Internet services including fiber optic, cable, DSL and satellite from CenturyLink, NEXT, Northern Arkansas Telephone Company, Ritter Communications, Suddenlink Communications and Yelcot Telecommunications.
Residents enjoy a four-season climate including comfortable winters, long, sunny summers and spectacular spring and fall seasons, Mountain Home, like other area communities, offers below-average crime, affordable housing, low property taxes, natural beauty, friendly people, proximity to health services and great educational opportunities. All this plus a city brimming with volunteer opportunities and community spirit!
Mountain Home History
The city originally was known as Rapp's Barron after Simeon "Rapp" Talburt built the first home in the early 1830s.The original cabin was found in 1990 and is on display in Cooper Park along with other homes of historic value. The name of the town was changed to Mountain Home in 1856. When Baxter County was incorporated on March 24, 1873, Mountain Home was named as the county seat and incorporated on July 12, 1888.
The Great Depression hit the area hard, causing many local farmers to lose their land and leave. A series of natural disasters also caused hardship in the area including the Flood of 1927 and the drought of 1930-31. Cotton had been one of the main crops in the area before this, but the drought ended production of cotton in Baxter county and it never truly resumed.
Pres. Franklin D. Roosevelt’s New Deal brought the building of Norfork and Bull Shoals Dams to the area. The construction of these two dams was a time of tremendous growth for the formerly isolated community of Mountain Home. Streets were paved and electricity became common in average households.
With the creation of Norfork and Bull Shoals Lakes, Mountain Home turned its sights to tourism. Today, there are many resorts, marinas, guide services and more tourist-related businesses in the Mountain Home area.
Mountain Home attractions
- Arkansas State University Mountain Home, a public, open access, two-year campus of the Arkansas State University that offers an education recognized as the top in the nation. 1600 S College St. 870.508.6100. Visit ASUMH Website
- Baxter Regional Medical Center serves an 11-county, two-state area throughout north central Arkansas and south central Missouri. The 268-bed, award-winning hospital has more than 180 primary-care and specialist physicians on staff, plus 24-hour ambulance service. BRMC is a not-for-profit corporation governed by an uncompensated board of directors. The hospital is the county’s single largest employer with 1,770 employees. 624 Hospital Drive. 870-508-1000. baxterregional.org/
- Mountain Home Rotary Club was founded in 1946 and meets at 11:45 Thursdays at Big Creek Country Club, 452 Country Club Drive. VisitMountain Home Rotary website
- Donald W. Reynolds Library is a Baxter County library offering programs for children, teens and adults in addition to exhibits, book clubs, early literacy projects, e books, workshops, Dolly Parton’s Imagination Library and more than 85,000 books. 300 Library Hill. 870.580.0987. Visit Donald W. Reynolds Library website
- Big Creek Golf Course & Country Club has a course is rated as No. 1 Best Public Golf Course in Arkansas by Golf Trail. 452 Country Club Drive off US Highway 62/412. 870.425.8815. bigcreekgolf.com
- Cooper Park houses a walking trail, city swimming pool, youth center, senior center. and Rapps Barren historical settlement. 1101 Spring St. 870.425.7447
- Twin Lakes Playhouse has provided live, community theater to the Twin Lakes Area for more than 40 years, including musicals; children’s theater; youth, teen and adult acting workshops; director and improvisation workshops and On the Boards Café, which showcases local talent. 600 W. Sixth St. 870.424.0444. twinlakesplayhouse.org
- David’s Trail is a network of trails located around Norfork Lake designed to encourage an active lifestyle for all ages. Nine miles east of Mountain Home off US Highway 6/412. www.davidstrail.org
- Baxter County Genealogical & Heritage Center contains collections including railroad memorabilia, military uniforms and genealogy records. 808 Baker Street. 870.425.2551. http://www.baxtercountyhistory.org/
- Baxter Summer Concert Series offers live, free music featuring various artists, groups and genres at Hickory Park May through September. Also features food and craft vendor at 6:30 p.m. Music begins at 7 p.m.
- For more information on Mountain Home, visit the City of Mountain Home website or the Mountain Home Area Chamber of Commerce website.
If you are looking for a home, business or investment property in or around Mountain Home, Beaman Realty can help you find it. Search for property for sale in Mountain Home on this website or reach out to the Beaman Realty team at 870.431.5252.
Free Listing/Search Manager
Be the first to know when new listings that meet your criteria hit the market! Our FREE Listing and Search Manager lets you save your favorite listings and searches, get email updates on listings and searches, and more!